First and Foremost A Sailor: Charles Herbert Lightoller

Charles Herbert Lightoller Courtesy Wikipedia

Charles Herbert Lightoller lived an anything but droll life. Where the sailor could be found, adventure lurked not far behind. Born in 1874 in Lancashire, England, Lightoller was practically an orphan. His mother had died when he was a baby and his father later remarried and left for New Zealand. Lightoller and his siblings were then cared for by an aunt and uncle.

In 1888 Lightoller had decided that his future rested with the sea. He joined the Primrose Hill as an apprentice. It was a tough voyage for the teenager. He was horribly seasick for the first few days and the ship was filled with a never ending supply of rats and cockroaches.

At the age of 16 Lightoller found himself shipwrecked on St. Paul’s Island after his latest ship, the Holt Hill ran aground. All but one of the crew survived the event. St. Paul’s was a barren island with very little in the way of resources. However, there were others, now long gone, on the island before the Holt Hill crew’s arrival. They were able to take shelter in a large hut. Their meals consisted of penguins, crayfish and salmon. Eight days after the shipwreck, the crew was rescued by the Coorong and taken to Adelaide. The Australians received the pitiful group with enthusiasm. Although Lightoller was decidedly against steam and proud of sail, he soon found himself serving on a steamer. It was, however, an easier life than sail.

After several contributing factors, Lightoller left the sea and set out to make his fortune in the Klondike Gold Rush (1898). He didn’t get very far in the Canadian wild when he and his three companions were forced to turn back. Lightoller than became a cowboy. Later, as a hobo, he worked his way across the country and ‘rode the rods’. Wanting to get back to Liverpool, he found work on a ship carrying cattle.

In 1900 Lightoller joined the White Star Line and found himself assigned to the RMS Medic, part of the Australian run. Sometime while a fourth officer in Sydney, Lightoller and four midshipmen were rowing around when a midshipmen mentioned firing Fort Denison’s large gun. Lightoller was enthusiastic about the idea and decided to pull the stunt off. In addition, since the Boer War was still raging, the Boer flag would be raised. Everything went according as planned and the gun went off late one night. The next day Sydney was in an uproar. Meanwhile, the officer and midshipmen congratulated each other. However, someone informed the company of Lightoller’s shenanigans. ‘Lights’, as was his nickname, sent in his resignation rather than be fired. Much to his surprise, Lightoller received a severe scolding, but was sent back to his ship after the Marine Superintendent laughed about the incident. Lightoller was taken off the Australian run, though.

RMS Titanic Courtesy Wikipedia

In 1912 Lightoller found himself aboard the RMS Titanic as first officer. But after a reshuffle he was knocked down to second officer. Late on April 14th, Lightoller handed the watch over to 1st Officer William Murdoch and headed off for an ‘inspection’ and then off to bed. He had almost fallen asleep when the collision took place. Fourth Officer Joseph Boxhall informed Lightoller that they had hit an iceberg. Dressing, Lightoller headed out on deck. After getting Captain Edward Smith’s permission, Lightoller began sending women and children off in the lifeboats. When Boat No. 2 was about to be sent off, Chief Officer Henry Wilde told Lightoller to go with the boat. Lightoller insubordinately ‘declined’. As Titanic neared her end Lightoller jumped overboard. He was pulled down into a shaft but was kept from being sucked below by a grate. Eventually, a blast of air propelled him upwards. He was again sucked down and thrown up on the surface, this time near an upturned collapsible boat. Already survivors had piled onto the craft. Once up on it, Lightoller took control, trying to keep it afloat for the next couple of hours. Later, another boat rescued the group in it precarious situation. At 8:30 AM Lightoller became the last survivor to board the RMS Carpathia. 1,517 souls didn’t have that opportunity.

In a following inquiry held in the US, Lightoller answered numerous questions put to him by Senator William Smith. Lightoller did some sidestepping trying not to incriminate the White Star Line or the vilified J. Bruce Ismay.

Sundowner Courtesy Wikipedia

During World War I Lightoller served on four different ships, two of them sinking. He also served briefly on seaplanes or ‘White Coffins’.  By the end of the war, Lightoller had gotten what the White Star Line would never give him, his own command. He left the Navy with the rank of commander and headed back to the White Star Line. But after frustrating years of service and no gratitude coming from the company, Lightoller resigned. Age didn’t stop Lightoller from getting into the action of World War II. He and his wife, Sylvia, spied on the Germans. During Dunkirk, Lightoller and his son helped to evacuate soldiers, dangerously overloading his yacht, the Sundowner. Lightoller died on December 8, 1952.

Source: Lightoller, Charles. Titanic and Other Ships; Stenson, Patrick. The Odyssey of C. H. Lightoller.